The Dark City by Catherine FisherMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Released: May 12, 2011
Publisher: Dial
Welcome to Anara, a world mysteriously crumbling to devastation, where nothing is what it seems: Ancient relics emit technologically advanced powers, members of the old Order are hunted by the governing Watch yet revered by the people, and the great energy that connects all seems to also be destroying all. The only hope for the world lies in Galen, a man of the old Order and a Keeper of relics, and his sixteen-year-old apprentice, Raffi. They know of a secret relic with great power that has been hidden for centuries. As they search for it, they will be tested beyond their limits. For there are monsters- some human, some not- that also want the relic's power and will stop at nothing to get it.
I really enjoyed this book, but in the beginning it was a little slow going for me. This wasn't because of the pace of plot of the book, but because it took me awhile to become invested enough in the characters to really care about what was happening to them. At the beginning they seemed distant and disconnected. Even though Raffi and Galen care about each other, that's difficult to see at first. I think Carys is who really pulled me in. She's a great character, and I'm still very curious about her background. After she's introduced, we begin to see a more developed or deeper side to Raffi and Galen's relationship. At this point, I began to enjoy The Dark City much more.
Overall, I thought this was an excellent start to a new series. This was a great story in and of itself, but also a good platform for a continuation. I'm extremely pleased that the entire series will be released this summer and I won't have to wait long at all to discover what happens to Raffi, Carys and Galen.
I received an ARC of this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
No comments:
Post a Comment