Monday, January 17, 2011

Review: The Girl Who Became a Beatle by Greg Taylor


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Released: February 15, 2011
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah!
When Regina Bloomsbury’s band, the Caverns, breaks up, she thinks it’s all over. And then she makes a wish—
“I wish I could be as famous as the Beatles.”
The Beatles are her music idols. The next day, she gets up to find that the Caverns are not just as famous as the Beatles, they have replaced them in history! Regina is living like a rock star, and loving it. There are talk shows, music videos, and live concerts with thousands of screaming fans. And Regina is the star of it all.
But fame is getting the better of Regina, and she has a decision to make. Does she want to replace the Beatles forever?
Here is a rocking novel about the good and the bad of Hollywood, fame, and rock ’n roll.

I really, really enjoyed this book. I loved Regina and Julian, and Regina and Julian together. I loved Regina's dad and watching their relationship change and grow as she came to appreciate him. I love the book's concept, its message, and Regina's journey, both mentally and physically. I loved that all the details and history of The Beatles were incorporated so naturally into the novel. I loved the catfights. I loved how special and powerful music was in Regina's life. The scene of her last performance was spectacular and very well done. And I absolutely adored Abernathy. Who wouldn't? He was such a great, fun character, and he filled his role perfectly.

The one thing about this book I didn't enjoy was that sometimes Regina didn't sound very much like a teenager. I don't mean I thought that she acted too mature or grown-up, as that's not the case. Regina very much acted like someone her age. But sometimes the way she spoke or thought, the expressions she used or the way she worded things, sounded more like a parent trying to sound cool in front of their kid's friends rather than an actual teenager. There were a few times I cringed and thought, "What? Does anyone actually say that?"

Overall though, this didn't matter. I really did like everything else about this book, and I think it's a great read. The voice did pull me out a few times, but it wasn't really a distraction because I was so involved in everything else going on in the book that I just shrugged and jumped back in.

Even though this book involves an alternate universe, I think it will be especially relatable to teens in several categories. First, it's perfect for anyone with a passion for music. Regina's love for music is really prominent throughout the story, both through her performances and her extensive knowledge. Another area is her relationship with her mother. When parents split up, it's so easy for the kids to get caught in between them, to feel pushed and pulled at by both sides, and to be confused and uncertain about what decisions to make in order to both be happy and to not hurt anyone's feelings. This is depicted very realistically and accurately with Regina.

Finally, I think The Girl Who Became a Beatle is also a great story for anyone who's feeling a little lost or confused about how they fit in with those around them. The teenage identity crisis is universal, and Greg Taylor did a great job of portraying Regina's journey as she learned to accept herself for who she is.


I received an ARC of this book from the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment